Table of Contents
What rings in mind when you hear the phrase “Social policy”? Welfare…public policy…government?
According to the Malcolm Wiener Center for Social Policy at Harvard University social policy is “public policy and practice in the areas of health care, human services, criminal justice, inequality, education, and labor”.
In other words, social policy is a study of social wellbeing and welfare, and its connections to society and politics. The social policy helps people to understand the connection between society and how it deals with human needs, points out the problems that are in the world. For example, the issues about social care and child protection or the problems of single parenting. While some countries pretend not to pay attention to such things, as home abuse or children mistreating, others fight and do it with the help of words.
When we are talking about the main areas of the social policy, they include such areas as:
- social security;
- unemployment insurance;
- social care and child protection;
- wellbeing and welfare;
- living conditions;
- poverty reduction;
- family policy;
- animal rights;
- and some more.
What is the social policy essay?
Many people believe that essays are only important for those who write them – aka writers, and the ones who read them, but it’s not true. An essay is the voice of the writer, a tool to reach others, touch their hearts and make them think. A social policy essay helps to analyze the topics that are relevant to everyone, bring to light the problems that might be silent and drag attention to the situations that should be fixed.
How to write a social policy essay?
Many students are confused about how to write a social policy essay? What should be included and is there any special structure?
Like any other essay should have 3 main parts:
- The introductionwhere you introduce the topic, its accuracy, and formulate the statement.
- The Body is the biggest part where you present the arguments with all supporting evidence. Make sure that each argument logically goes from one to another and has its paragraph.
- The Conclusion is a very important part as here you restate the arguments, rephrase the statement and show how it can be applied in real life.
Before you start writing a social policy essay, make sure you chose the topic that is interesting for you and you have enough knowledge of it. Try to gather as much information as possible, prepare an outline and fill it with the details you gathered.
If you were not given a particular topic, you have a great list to choose from. Some social policy essay topics may include:
- Do handicapped children have the same education rights as others?
- Sexism in the workplace: employer vs. employee.
- Gun control: who should be allowed carrying guns?
- Maternity leave policies in the Middle East.
- One child policy in China.
- Bullying in social media.
- Humanitarian missions around the world.
- Should the death penalty be banned?
- Euthanasia: should it be legal?
- Should the rich pay higher taxes?
The list can go on, but the most important in a social policy education essay is to choose the topic that is close to you.