Table of Contents
For many students writing a thesis paper can be horrifying due to the lack of knowledge of what to write or how to write a good thesis paper. However, it can be very satisfying when you like the topic and you are into the subject you are exploring. In our article, we will answer the question “what is a thesis paper in college?”, help to understand how to write a thesis paper step by step, give some useful tips and advice as well as on the example show how the rules can be used. But before we start we have to understand a thesis paper definition.
What is a thesis paper?
So what is a thesis paper? If to say it in simple words, a thesis paper is a long essay that presents an appealing research question and thanks to the in-depth research completely answers it.
Every thesis paper has an introductory paragraph that presents the topic providing the information on the background of the subject, a thesis statement that not only directs the paper but also includes your personal view on the question. The most important part of any thesis paper is to find the topic that you have a strong opinion on, so in this case, the writing process will be interesting and exciting. Don’t forget to support any information with solid facts.
How to write a college thesis paper?
It is known that gather information and do the research is just the beginning of the writing process. How to write thesis papers and make them interesting? So how to write a thesis paper professionally, but at the same time in the way that allows you to express yourself?
- Choose an interesting and unique topic.Make sure that the topic is not too wide and not to narrow, so you will be able to collect all the necessary information. If the topic is too wide, you might find it difficult to concentrate on a particular question by trying to cover everything and in the end, will fail with the whole paper. If the topic is too narrow, you might not be able to conduct necessary research that will lead to the lack of information provided in a thesis paper.
- Create an attractive title.What you call a boat, so it will float! That is why an appealing title will drag more attention to the paper and raise curiosity to read it.
- Make a plan. What is a thesis paper without proper planning? Before conducting any research and especially before writing make sure to draft the plan of your paper and follow it. In this case, you will be directed through the research and it will save you a lot of time during the writing process.
- Conduct in-depth research.When you have a plan, you can conduct comprehensive research and explore the research question from every angle.
- Write an inviting introduction and a strong conclusion.It is known that the introduction sets the tone of the whole paper while the conclusion summarizes the main ideas and creates an overall impression from the paper. That is why don’t ignore these parts and spend an appropriate amount of time writing them.
How to structure a thesis paper?
So now let’s have a better understanding of what should be included and how to structure a thesis paper. Some variations might apply, but in this case, your instructor should guide you through it. The majority of thesis papers include:
- Title Page that has some basic information regarding the topic and the writer.
- Abstract that pinpoints the main aspects of your work.
- Table of contentsincludes all the main chapters with the main sections along with the page numbers.
- In Introduction provide allrelevant information related to the topic, stating its purpose, background information, and thesis statement.
- Literature Review contains information aboutthe published works that are connected and were read to the chosen thesis topic.
- Materials and Methodology parts include an explanation of the methods used to conduct extensive research on the thesis topic.
- After conducting all the necessary research, in the partResults present the findings of the collected data.
- Discuss andevaluate the research findings in the Discussion
- In Conclusion, sum up your paper by pinpointing the main aspects that helped you to answer the research question.
- Recommendations part is very important as it includes suggestions and recommendations based on research findings.
- Acknowledgement shows gratitude to the people who helped you in writing the thesis paper.
- Bibliography is the part where you list allthe relevant and correct information sources used for the dissertation.
- Appendices section is needed to list diagrams, charts, questions, etc. used to conduct the research as well as the results obtained during the process of data collection.
How to Arrange a Thesis Paper Title Page?
Like any other type of assignment a thesis paper has a title page, however, the style should be defined by an instructor, as there are various types of citation styles. Normally, you should be provided with the details regarding the specifications of your title page formatting. If you don’t have them, you can always ask your instructor to provide you such.
How to Start a Thesis Paper?
When you need to prepare a thesis paper, quite often the main question is even notwhat a thesis paper in college is, but how to write a college thesis, or how to start a thesis paper in the way that it will attract the reader’s attention. The introductory part is the first part of your research paper and depending on its quality, relevancy, and the information provided, a reader will decide whether to study it further or not. To be able to write a powerful introduction, it is better to shape it after the whole paper is finished, so in this case, you will have a whole picture. Besides, try to use a hook to make the reader’s imagination grow with curiosity to read further. However, by trying to impress, don’t overextend your introductory part, always keep focused and stick to the point, as the quality counts, not quantity.
How to Write Methods in Thesis: Methodology Part in a Thesis Paper
A thesis method section is the third part of your thesis paper which defines thesis paper: methods that were used to obtain data. Some reasons for collecting information even before you start writing the paper include:
- to know what has been learned and researched about the subject of writing;
- to learn the opinions regarding the question;
- it also helps to direct your work and find the question that hasn’t been researched deeply or you have another opinion of.
How should you start the writing process?
The purpose of this section is to present what you have found as well as the ways you used to collect data. Make sure to include several sub-sections with all possible details that will allow your reader to duplicate your study.
So how to use the data that you collected and present it in your thesis’ method section, especially for those who are not familiar with your thesis topic?
- Describe the type of your research and what type of data collection did you choose. There are 2 types of collecting information:
- Quantitative data provides the answers that can be easily shown in numbers (for example size, price, amount, length, weight, time, etc). Such questions as “who?”, “when?”, “where?”, “what?” and “how many?” will be very helpful. Some examples of quantitative data are:
- closed-ended surveys;
- online quizzes.
- Qualitative data according to its name focuses on descriptive information that provides the answers to such questions as “how” and “why?” For that purpose, the best is to use such methods as:
- open-ended surveys;
- 1-on-1 interview;
- group interview.
- Describe the participants in your study. Mention who took part in your research and where did you find them. For example, an interview conducted on the street of London, social media (Facebook/Instagram), advertisement, etc. Depending on the research goal, it is important to provide all the details about your respondents (age, profession, nationality, native language, etc.). Besides, you should mention the number of respondents and the criteria used to select them.
- Present the time of the study. It is necessary to emphasize when did the study take place? (mention the month and the year) and how long did it last?
- Description of the accuracy and validity of your research is a very essential aspect that can’t be ignored.
- As we mentioned above, it is important to describe not only the respondents themselves but how many of them completed the task and what did you do to increase their number. For example, rewards as gifts; reminders via email or phone message; personal approaches like asking a favor among friends or group mates.
- Now it’s the time to mention the instruments that were used to obtain data. For instance, you study drug users among women and chose a group interview in the support group of drug addiction as a method. Now give more details about the interview questions, what was the purpose of these questions and how did you come up with them.
- Don’t forget to describe all the steps of the procedure that were used to get data and the replies of the respondents.
- And the last step is to outline the data analysis methods that were used. Explain the reasons for choosing a particular method, how did you prepare the method, what problems you faced while conducting the survey or test, etc.
Remember to use Past Tense in this section, as the study has been conducted and you got the results.
College Thesis Example: How to Implement the Rules on Practice?
So now, we believe you know what is a college thesis, how to structure it and what points should be covered, so it’s time on the example to show what does a thesis paper look like. It is known that the length of the paper depends on the department, faculty, and the field of study and can vary greatly. For example, a bachelor’s thesis is usually 40-60 pages, while the diploma and master’s thesis is 60-100 pages long. In our example of a thesis paper, we will present an outline that can be used in the writing.
- Title Page should be arranged according to the instructor’s references.
- Abstract pinpoints the main aspects of your work, gives an idea of what your work is about.
- The Table of Contents should include the chapters with the main sections along with the page numbers.
- In Introduction highlight the main points of your thesis paper as well as rise the reader’s curiosity with a hook or catchy information. You can use a quote of a famous person or some interesting facts/statistics regarding the subject of the research. It should include such points as:
- some background information regarding the subject;
- a thesis statement;
- the outline of the paper (what is the purpose, how will you reach it).
- While preparing aLiterature Review section make sure to mention published works that were used while preparing a thesis paper.
- Materials and Methodology part includes information about the methods used to collect data, the respondents and the steps used to get all the necessary information.
- Results is the section where you present the findings you received from the previous part.
- In many thesis papers Discussion is the most important section as it gives a chance to question your findings by examining other interpretations. For example, “… another explanation for this phenomenon can be…” or “from one side… but from another …” etc.
- Conclusion is needed to “wrap” your thesis paper by answering the research question you placed at the beginning.
- Recommendations may include some suggestions you give based on research findings. For instance, if you wrote about drug abuse among women, you can give recommendations based on the collected data or what can be done to reduce the number of drug users.
- In Acknowledgement thank those who helped you in conducting research, gathering data and writing the thesis paper.
- List all the sources during the writing process in Bibliography.
- If you have any charts, diagrams, or you want to provide the list of questions used for the data collection, do that in
We believe now you know what’s a thesis paper, how do you write a thesis paper, what should be included and how it should be structured. However, if you still hesitate and need help, just send us “What is a thesis in college?” or “I need help with my thesis writing” and we will gladly assist you.