What is a conclusion paragraph? How to write a good conclusion for an essay? All these questions are important for those who write essays. Many students don’t pay much attention to conclusion as believe that the most important is the main body. However this opinion is wrongful and in our article we will explain the necessity of conclusion, how to write an essay conclusion and show some examples.
What is a conclusion paragraph and why do you need an essay conclusion?
So what is a conclusion paragraph? In short it’s the part that finishes your essay and shows that you achieved the goals set in your paper. It shows that you proved your thesis set in Introduction and makes your essay complete. Besides, it brings together all the ideas mentioned in the body paragraphs. Finally, it leaves an impression from your paper that is why it is important to write a strong and powerful conclusion paragraph. “How to write a conclusion to an essay?” you might ask. This we will describe in our next part.
How to write a conclusion?
Many students have the same question “How to write a conclusion in an essay?” Remember that a conclusion paragraph is a summary of what you have written in your paper. The best example of a good conclusion for an essay is including the information that was written in your Introduction part. Of course, you can’t just copy it; instead you should present the idea in other words. Besides, when you write a conclusion for an essay you should remember:
- Introduction is your guide. The main idea that you used in the beginning can be rephrased and used as a part of the conclusion.
- Don’t miss any important detail. If your essay is long, make sure to include information from each paragraph. Sum up your ideas and conclude your thoughts in a thesis.
- Leave something your readers to think about. Remember that your ideas can be different from others. Not just finish your essay, but give them something to think about after your paper.
- Essay writing conclusion should not be general, as the main point is to “wrap” your essay. For that you can use such words as in the end, to summarize, finally, in a word, in conclusion, on the whole, thus, to conclude, to sum up etc.
To conclude I believe that even in 50 years computers will not replace teachers, but will be a useful tool that can be used during teaching process.
How to make a conclusion for an essay? Our next chapter dedicated to that question.
How many of you faced the problem that you wrote an amazing essay, but got low grades just because your conclusion was written in a wrong way? Conclusion like any other part of an essay has its own structure. It can’t be just one sentence or in a contrary occupy the whole page; it should be effective, logical and memorable. So, how to write a powerful essay conclusion?
While writing a good conclusion you should:
- Start specific and move to general! Unlike Introduction where you start with opening statement then move to supporting sentence and finish with thesis statement (going from general to specific), conclusion stipulates writing from specific information, for example rephrase thesis statement and after move to general.
- Rephrase, not repeat! When you restate your thesis statement make sure to use one sentence (don’t forget to rephrase it, not copy) followed by supporting information.
- Don’t forget to call for action. As mentioned above any conclusion should not simply sum up the information, but call for action, make a reader think about the problem. One good example of it can be an open question.
- No new information! In your Conclusion you should reflect on arguments pinpointing the main bullet points, but not provide any new information.
Different types of conclusion for essays and essay conclusion examples
Depending on the type of your essay – narrative, persuasive, descriptive, or expository – the conclusion will be different. So how do you write an essay conclusion for each type?
When you write a narrative essay, you tell a story about your life or an event in chronological order. In this case your conclusion will be tightly connected to the last paragraph of the main body. For example, if you write about how you reached your current work position, and your the last paragraph describes the time you joined the company, in your conclusion you will motivate your reader not be scared of difficulties, follow your dream and will make him to be proud of you.
So now, I’m the part of a big family called “Unilo” and I can’t be more proud and delighted to work here. Every day I learn new things from them. I strongly believe that my long way to become a Managing Director will bring fruitful results and as a team we can reach the results we have been aiming for. I know that there are still things that I should learn, but I believe that together we will bring our company to prosperity.
For persuasive essay the most distinctive feature is that you introduce a hypothesis or a theory in the Introduction part, prove it in the main body and summarize in conclusion. The most important is to keep the language simple, pinpoint the importance of your conclusion, call the reader for an action and keep all these within 3-5 sentences. How to write a powerful essay conclusion? There are 3 main strategies that you can use: call to action, offer a solution or make a prediction. In our essay conclusion example we made a prediction for the topic “Can computers replace teachers in future?”
Of course, there is no computer that can replace a classroom teacher. One reason why it will never happen is that computers are programmed to teach, but teachers can feel students, understand if they grasped the topic or struggle with understanding. Besides, physical presence of a teacher in the classroom is more important for better learning. So, even 50 years from now I believe that computers will be used to assist teachers, but not replace them.
A descriptive essay aims to give the reader a visual image of a person, place, situation or event. To achieve that the writer should use detailed descriptions supported by colorful explanation and personal experience. To write a good descriptive essay the writer has to be a good narrator and Conclusion should close the question that was raised in the essay.
As I was growing up, I was getting closer to become the person I always dreamed of – a professional surgeon. I will always remember that feeling when I got admitted to Johns Hopkins University. That was like a dream came true! I know that even though I graduated some time ago, my professional growth continues every day, and in the end I will become the doctor my parents will be proud of.
Essays that require research are expository and their main aim is to conclude a research, analyze the problem and describe your findings in details.
No mater what is your gender anyone deserves the same working conditions and I proved my opinion in the paper. The main reason why men and women should have equal working rights is that professional abilities don’t depend on the sex. The employer should rely on employee’s knowledge, experience and ability to learn during the working process.
Of course there are some other types of essay conclusions, and if you still hesitate how to write a conclusion for an essay, please feel free to contact us. Our professional writers are 24/7 ready to assist you with any problem.