Nothing is depressing or confusing about writing an article review as many college and university students would say. However, having adequate knowledge of the types and formats of writing reviews will make your article review writing very easy and enjoyable. Therefore an understanding of what an article review entails is the first step in knowing how to write an article review. This is an article writing which helps to improve writing skills. Even though it informs the readers, it doesn’t present new information.
An Article review is academic writing which helps to improve writing skills. Even though it informs the readers, it doesn’t present new information, rather it gives information on already existing research.
What is an article review?
Article reviews are evaluations of already written research literature, analyzing its theories methodology, analysis, findings and summary. Review writing helps expand and broaden scholars’ research competence and aid comparison of literature of related topics and fields. If you are currently writing or planning to write either an undergraduate or postgraduate dissertation, we assure you that at some stage in your research, you will be required to review other related literature and compare their result findings with your work.
One of the main advantages of an article review is that it helps back up your research argument or hypotheses or findings with already-established literature. This form of writing requires competence in research. Therefore, the amount of time you use in doing in-depth research in finding decent arguments, determines how good your article review will be.
Notably, an article review is professional writing that requires deep analysis and a well-structured presentation of arguments. It involves a clear analysis, evaluation, and critical and constructive presentation of other people’s literature.
Types of Article Review
There are various types of article reviews. So, as a college or university student, you may be required to use one or a combination of the following types of the article review in your undergraduate or postgraduate dissertation writing.
Narrative article review
This type of article review requires logical and qualitative argument. Just as the name implies, this type of review studies the author’s experiences. It’s in your place to analyze and compare these experiences explicitly in your research review.
In colleges and universities, students are being taught or required to learn narrative reviews as a general approach to research. Their role is to identify and describe other studies that share similar problems and literature to their research work. In narrative article reviews, there are no predetermined research strategies, hypotheses or research questions because its interest is solely on describing a topic or problem of interest. It’s vital to note that this type of review does not follow a systematic process, protocol or standards. It doesn’t also follow a guide. You can go about it your own way and decide how you structure it.
You can conduct a narrative literature review using the following steps:
- Conduct deep research
Every article review requires in-depth research such as narrative review writing. In conducting deep research, you are required to search for published empirical literature both online and offline to gather relevant sources. Make sure you search numerous databases to gather more facts because you need to review enough literature to enrich your work.
- Identify keywords
The identification of keywords is very vital in conducting a narrative review. Your job is to look out for the keywords the authors have used in their studies for easy identification and gathering of relevant data from the database.
Be sure to identify relevant concepts and variables the author has used which are useful to your research review writing. Once you have identified articles with similar keywords, or variables, you can then proceed to review the abstract.
- Review Abstract and articles
After identifying useful keywords, you can then proceed to review the abstracts of the literature you gathered. Another reason why you should identify keywords is to remove duplicate keywords in articles that apply to your review question. Be sure that the abstract of papers you have gathered for review address your review question, otherwise, such abstracts are discarded. Additionally, you should select very few abstracts because it is not necessary to include all articles on a topic when writing narrative reviews. As a student, you should be able to provide enough proof to support your argument and findings.
- Document Result
Be sure to state all results of findings from articles you have reviewed. You must summarize and discuss the findings you have found and relate them to your writing in an appropriate form. Documentation of the results of the findings of the reviewed article adds credence to your writing. It is unnecessary to record your literature search, rather you should record the methodology and findings of articles. Do not fail to reference all the articles you extract information from, because citation of sources serves as proof that you acknowledged the sources of reviews you used in your work.
Evidence-based Article Review
This is a type of article review where students identify and discuss the author’s idea, including the impact of their studies and analyze their findings and results. Evidence-based arrive review is professional writing in which you need to study the subject intensively to be able to select the review appropriately and discuss the topic broadly. The evidence-based article review aims at providing readers with an evidence-based summary of a particular question in a broad and detailed manner with an authoritative summary of the subject. This type of review follows a recognizable structure, so it’s different from systematic or meta-analysis reviews.
You must create a general overview of a particular field of review through comprehensive documentation of its finding and reference in the review.
You can conduct an evidence-based article review using the following steps/ tips:
- Define the subject and purpose
Having deep knowledge of the subject and how what the topic entails is a good step to writing an evidence article review. You should be able to ascertain what the author is doing in his paper, his ideas and the purpose of his literature. This will guide you in where to search for your literature and in selecting the most relevant sources.
- Evaluate the strength and validity
You ought to analyze the influence and validity of the literature you want to review. Always avoid subjective reports or reports with no proven information. Make sure you understand the analysis, problem and overview of the subject.
- Consult numerous sources of evidence-based reviews
All your information should be verified, therefore you should consult as many sources as possible to ascertain the validity of the literature. Be sure to look for applicable approaches that are supported with valid evidence. In any case, where you are uncertain of the source of any information or submission, you should return to the literature and verify the knowledge again.
- Indicate the literature search
Tell your readers in the review how you conducted the literature search and the main sources of evidence you have used. Your readers should know the measures you used to include or exclude all your sources. Do not use information that supports your conclusions, rather identify all the important pertinent research and make sure you critically examine its validity and reliability.
- Emphasize all your evidence-supported approaches
You must provide all evidence which exists in your review or show your readers that you have adopted a general viewpoint of authors who wrote on a relevant subject, in cases where little evidence exists. Additionally, you should make your review comprehensive enough, acknowledging recent developments and unanswered questions, including disagreements that can influence the nature and uniqueness of your information.
- Use primary sources
Getting information from the main sources will save you from misconceptions and unverified information. Primary sources of information are the best sources of information because it is usually authentic, and original. Also, all your citations should be referenced from primary research sources. It is widely known that primary research sources give you the first-hand information you need. Therefore, endeavor to use primary research sources to deduce the implication of all your evidence.
Systematic Article Review
This is a structured type of article review that discusses the methodologies and provides answers to questions associated with a study. It is a summary of an analysis paper which summarizes the existing information about a distinct topic. A systematic review is also a detailed and comprehensive review which aims at curtailing prejudice by identifying, synthesizing and appraising all relevant studies on a particular topic.
Systematic article reviews are usually regarded as a highly structured review because it follows a standard process that can be simplified or summarized into a sequence of smaller steps. One of the main reasons why people write systematic article reviews is to give answers to critical and vital questions and to make a difference in research writing.
You use the following approaches in writing high-quality systematic review evidence.
- Identify the research question; You can start by identifying the topic of the review and research questions because it is the basis of your analysis and review findings. Be sure that your review fills that research question gap. You should consider the scope of the paper you are reviewing.
- Identify and define inclusion and exclusion criteria based on your review questions.
- Appropriately search and select the most relevant literature which is related to your study.
- After the selection, proceed to extract the data that is reliable and relevant to you. The extraction of data must be based on protocol or an approved research plan. If you find the same report from multiple authors on the same topic, make sure you link the reports and sources to avoid repeating the same information multiple times.
- You should synthesize and present your report. Sum up all the bits or parts of the report and present them as a whole, rather than in parts. The report guideline, type of data and analysis will determine your report presentation.
Tips for Writing an Article Review
Writing a summary of other people’s work or an evaluation of the same may be complicated for many students without prior knowledge of in-depth research writing. Hence, article writing is mostly assigned to higher-level students who have been taught or exposed to a series of research writings.
Follow the below tips while writing your article review.
- Make do with one topic or subject and focus on it. Even though you may sometimes need to study various ideas and methods to write a review, the safest method is to choose a topic you like and feel comfortable with and proceed.
- Every research requires a thesis, and so do article reviews. Therefore, you should create a thesis for your work.
- Always summarize all important facts or points gotten from the author’s paper and document them properly.
- Assess the author’s idea and method, stating your opinions and influence. Be sure that all your arguments are backed up with accurate citations.
- Do not fail to annotate the selected sources in your essay. You can use more sources that will aid you to assess your opinion regarding the author’s method and idea.
- Academic writing has a structure. So, it’s important to follow a recommended and basic structure when writing an article review because it’s an academic assignment. An academic structure includes; the overview/ introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Create an assessment and analysis of the author’s literature, checking if it’s correct or incorrect. You ought to agree or disagree with the author’s idea and method, providing evidence to back up your point or stand.
- Make an exposition of the author’s work, identifying and giving answers to questions that were kept unanswered, including filling the gaps in the author’s work that weren’t addressed.
- Finally, edit and proofread the review, correcting all kinds of errors in the review. This will make your review clearer, unique and interesting. Don’t fail to add references to the sources you used in your article review writing.